It took me two attempts before I was satisfied with this dragonfly ZIA. The first time round I chose a much too ornate and involved background which meant that the dragonfly pretty much got lost. I started again and this time kept the background simpler. I already visualised a monochrome background and a bright insect that would ‘pop’ from the page. I shaded with graphite and then I began to colour the dragonfly with alcohol markers.
I bought a set of Spectrum Noir markers earlier this year as so many people on Ornation Creation seemed to recommend them. I have to say that although I love how eaily they blend with each other, I’m disappointed with many of the colours which are not as vivid as I hoped for. Also some colours are lacking from the range – there is no bright sunshine yellow, no Christmas red, no emerald green. I coloured my dragonfly with shades of turquoise, lime green and lavender and waited for the ‘pop’. There was none. I wanted vibrancy and irridescence and wasn’t getting it.
So, I turned to my Japanese watercolour brush pens and finally got satisfaction.